Comfort measures at home during end of life care.
There comes a time in all our lives when we are forced to say goodbye to someone we love. If your loved one chooses end of life care in the comfort of home, Retire-At-Home Ottawa can provide the professional and compassionate services to maintain their dignity and privacy.
Definition: What is Palliative Care or Hospice Care?
Retire-At-Home Ottawa’s Palliative Care or Hospice Care is compassionate care of the patient and family when cure is no longer possible. The care provided is designed to give support to people in the final phase of a terminal illness and focus on comfort and quality of life rather than cure.
Palliative Care or Hospice Care strives to help clients and families:
- Address physical, psychological, social,spiritual and practical issues, and their associated expectations, needs, hopes and fears;
- Prepare for and manage self-determined life closure and the dying process;
- Cope with loss and grief during the illness and bereavement.
Palliative Care or Hospice Care aims to:
- Monitor and manage ongoing issues and concerns related to the client’s health and well-being;
- Provide preventative measures and continuity of care for complete comfort of the client;
- Promote opportunities for meaningful and valuable experiences, personal and spiritual growth, and self-actualization.
Palliative Care or Hospice Care is appropriate for any client and/or family living with a terminal illness, regardless of age, and at any time they have unmet expectations and/or needs, and are prepared to accept care.
Our Palliative Care or Hospice Care Services in Ottawa, ON
This is an extremely challenging time for everyone involved, and that’s why our experienced and well-trained caregivers and nurses will provide truly compassionate and holistic care that strives to improve quality of life – physically, mentally and emotionally – during their final stages.
Our Care Management and Palliative Care Team in Ottawa, ON have a special working relationship with a palliative care outreach program, including experienced doctors and specialists, to implement and manage a customized care plan that is suited to the needs and preferences of your loved one.
At Retire-At-Home Ottawa, our total care approach to hospice palliative care includes:
- Daily monitoring of the client’s health and revision of their care plan as needed;
- Assistance with pain management;
- Regular sponge bathing and personal care;
- Mouth care;
- Positioning and repositioning in bed to promote skin integrity;
- Monitoring of and assistance with dietary needs;
- Regular communication with palliative care doctors and other health professionals involved;
- Regular communication with family members;
- Ensuring the dignity, respect, and privacy of the client as per their direction and religious beliefs;
- Arrangements for Home Medical Equipment and Supplies;
- Filling in the gaps with public services to ensure consistency of care.
Retire-At-Home Ottawa and the
Palliative Care Outreach Program
The Palliative Care Outreach Program is a non profit end-of-life care organization that was founded in Ottawa in 1997 by Dr. Margaret Farncombe. She was moved to create this organization from the realization of the need for at home care for the terminally ill after caring for her own mother during her dying process.
The cornerstone of this organization is compassionate and dignified care that respects the wishes of an individual to approach his/her end of life in the comfort and familiarity of their home with their
family and friends at their side.
The goal of our Palliative Care Outreach Program is to work with healthcare providers, such as Retire-At-Home Services, to provide in-home supportive care to our clients in the Ottawa, ON area.
The Palliative Care Outreach Program provides:
- Pain and Symptom Management
- Home or Office based consultations
- Bereavement follow-up
- Community education
To learn more about the Palliative Care Outreach Program in Ottawa, ON, please visit their website at www.palliativeoutreach.org.