Professional Foot Care with a Personal Touch!
As we get older, our health begins to present us with many challenges. One of these challenges is taking care of our feet. Any issues with our feet can impact our independence by adversely affecting our mobility.
At Retire-At-Home, our experienced Foot Care Nurses in Richmond have completed specialized courses in advanced foot care. Our foot care nurses are specifically recruited to be able to provide a professional services with a personal touch. They can fix any immediate issues and monitor the ongoing health of your feet. To maximize your healing time, Retire-At-Home caregivers can provide home care for you by visiting you in your own home at a time that is most convenient to you.
Our Foot Care Nurses in Richmond ON will provide the following services:
- A nursing assessment to help you understand your risk factors and identify foot problems
- A foot massage to encourage circulation
- Educating you on taking care of your feet properly (see section below on tips for Maintaining Healthy Feet)
- Nail cutting
- Corn and callous care
- Ingrown toenail care
- Identifying the need for more specialized treatments for your feet and referring you to appropriate resources in your community
Tips for Maintaining Healthy Feet!
According to research, the number of foot complications can be considerably reduced using certain preventative measures.
Wash your feet everyday
- Wash your feet in warm (not hot) water every day
- Dry your feet well. Be sure to dry between the toes
Check your feet every day
- Examine your feet and toes every day for cuts, blisters, red spots, bruises and swelling
- Use a mirror to check the bottoms of your feet or if you can see, then ask a family member for help you
- If you have diabetes, consult regularly with your health care team to keep your blood sugar within a good range
Keep the skin soft and smooth
- Apply a thin coat of good moisture retention cream containing UREA over the tops and bottoms of your feet but not between your toes
Always Wear Shoes and Socks
- Your shoes are the first lines of defence in protecting your feet. Wear shoes that are comfortable but also fit well. Never walk barefoot
- Wear thick, soft cotton or wool socks to protect and cushion your feet
Keep the Blood Flowing to your Feet
- Put your feet up when sitting
- Exercise by moving your ankles up and down and wiggling your toes for 4 to 5 minutes. Try to do this 2 to 3 times per day
- Don’t cross your legs for long periods of time
- Don’t smoke
Don’t Wait, Start Right Now
- Begin taking good care of your feet today
- Set a time every day to check your feet
- Be good to your feet and they will be good to you
Facts About Feet
Did you know that your foot contains…
- 26 relatively small bones
- More than 150 ligaments and an intricate network of muscles, nerves and blood vessels
- Each pair of feet has approximately 25,000 sweat glands
- During a typical day the feet endure a cumulative force of several hundred tons
- An average person will take 10,000 steps every day
If you notice any of the following, see your doctor right away:
- an injury that doesn’t heal or becomes infected
- any part of your foot or leg that turns blue or black
- pain when walking that is relieved by rest
- reduced sensation to pain or extreme temperatures
- any unusual coldness, cramping, numbness, tingling or discomfort in your feet
Retire-At-Home has a range of Home Care and Senior Care services. Contact us today to find out how our Foot Care Services for Nurses can help you!
We offer a wide range of In-Home Senior Health Care Services in Richmond to help you remain in your home for as long as you wish.
All of our employees and managers in Richmond are trained to work with you in a compassionate, non-intrusive way. Whether you would like simple companionship or require around the clock care, we will tailor our home care service for you. For more information on our Foot Care services please give us a call at 613-369-5100 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about our Richmond home care company